7.17.2009

Plum Peachy Cobbler For BSI

This week's BSI (Blogger Secret Ingredient) is being hosted by Healthy. Delicious. and the secret ingredient is plums!

I decided to make this yummy cobbler for my entry.



I have to be honest here, I have never made anything with plums. I always just eat them the way they are.

I chose to use Sugar Plums in this cobbler.



You will need just a few things for this recipe.
  • 2 lbs. of Sugar Plums (about 12)
  • 3-4 peaches


  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 2 tbsp sugar
  • 2 tbsp corn starch or 4 tbsp flour
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • juice from 1 lemon
  • 1/2 tsp lemon extract
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • 1/4 cup milk



First you will need to seed and slice the plums and peel, seed, and slice the peaches. In a large bowl combine the fruit, 3/4 cup sugar, lemon juice, lemon extract, and corn starch. Stir to combine.

Next, Combine the Flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Cut the butter in. Add the egg and milk and mix well.

Place the fruit mixture into an 8 inch glass baking dish.



Top with flour mixture like so.



Bake in a 350 degree oven for 35-40 minutes until fruit is nice and bubbly and topping is golden brown.



The plums in this were so fabulous. I don't know why I haven't tried them in a recipe until now. I also really enjoyed the lemon flavor in this.


Have a wonderful weekend!

~Plums are Good!

28 comments:

Mrs Peeks Farmhouse said...

That looks soooo delicious! I will have to try it out.... may be this weekend.
Cheers!
Mrs Peeks Farmhouse

The Blonde Duck said...

I adore cobbler!

Christo Gonzales said...

I forget how much I like cobbler until I see a delicious one like this

Heather S-G said...

I love cobbler...and plums! Deeeelicious :D

Heather said...

We grew up with a plum tree, so plum tarts and cobblers were regulars around our house. I love, love, love!!!! sugary plum cobbler with tons of cinnamon and vanilla ice cream on top. YUMMY!

chow and chatter said...

this is a great idea hope you win LOL

Reeni said...

This sounds delicious mixed with peaches, too! I haven't cooked with plums either, but I love eating them as is.

debra@dustjacket said...

I love love cobbler, thank you! Have a sweet weekend.xxxx

Jenn said...

Awesome plum entry!! I'd love to have a huge piece of that with a couple scoops of ice cream.

Anonymous said...

Pass me a big old dish of this and I am one happy gal!
YUMMMMY!!!

Dajana said...

It's awesome, I love plums, used to eat tons of them when I lived at home

Katy ~ said...

I just bought plums, wondered what to do with them. Kim, this looks fabulous! We can't get decent pages so I may have to use frozen, but I want to make this.

YUM YUM!!

JennyMac said...

This looks SO good.

Barbara Bakes said...

I haven't cooked with plums either. The combination with peaches sounds juicy and delicious! I'll have to give it a try.

The imPerfect Housewife said...

YUMMMMMM - I've never made anything with plums either! I'm making the Trailblazin' Muffins today when I get off the computer. I don't have the authentic trail mix from your dad's company, but I have a fake for the time being from the grocery store. That chicken manicotti keeps calling my name, too. Thanks for making me fat! HA HA

Mary Bergfeld said...

I do make a small quantity of plum jam each year, but I must say this really caught my eye. It really looks delicious. Now if I love cobbler and have plums what could keep me from doing this? Laziness is not an excuse, so this moves to the dessert portion of tonight's dinner. I'll let you know how how I do.

Cathy said...

Yum! Plums are my second favourite summer fruit (other than cherries) and I usually just make pie with it. I may have to give this a try.

MaRiN said...

Mmmm, cobbler! Cobbler is so delicious year round. I just had apple blackberry cobbler yesterday. Yum.

Anonymous said...

A total winner in my book! Plums as cobbler? Awesome!

Joanne said...

This actually looks insanely delicious! You are the plum master and you didn't even know it.

Kathy B! said...

This looks delicioius. I've never baked with plums before either. If the stupid critters hadn't eaten all my precious peaches I could have used them in this recipe...

MaRyA said...

yummy indeed! gotta try this! I wonder if this recipe will work with apples too?

MaRyA said...

yummy indeed! gotta try this! I wonder if this recipe will work with apples too?

Marta said...

I'm the same way with fruits, I hardly ever bake with them because I eat them on their own. I almost feel like it's a sacrifice to "give them up" to a baked good.
But this cobbler looks worthy of the sacrifice!

Lauren said...

fantastic entry!

Selba said...

The peach and plum are so wonderful for the cobbler... yummm....

teresa said...

I never even think to bake with plums, but this looks amazing!

Anonymous said...

I love cobblers and crisps. You cannot go wrong with those desserts.

Related Posts with Thumbnails