9.07.2010

spiced apple oatmeal muffins

IMG_0472

I have to be honest here, I sort of fell off of my no sugar diet wagon with these muffins. Don't worry, they're not that bad! They have apples, rolled oats and whole wheat to balance out the brown sugar and honey.

IMG_0482
With the arrival of cooler weather, rain drops and the start of school, I find myself craving warm comforting foods at breakfast time. These muffins definitely remind me that autumn is just around the corner.

IMG_0478
I'd love to tell you that I used homemade chunky applesauce in my muffins but... I used the next best thing. Spiced chunky applesauce from good ol' Trader Joe's. It's sweetened with apple juice only. This applesauce is great for baked goods or just eatin' all by itself. My daughter asked for seconds this evening.

IMG_0480
Muffins are terrific for quick on-the-go breakfasts or a school snack.
Hurray for muffins!

Spiced Apple Oatmeal Muffins
by theUngourmet

makes about 14 muffins

1 cup rolled oats
1 cup low-fat milk
1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3/4-1 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 cup spiced chunky applesauce
2 large eggs
1/3 cup honey
1/4 cup canola oil

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease muffin cups.

In a small bowl combine the oats and milk. Set aside. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cinnamon, soda and salt. In a medium bowl, whisk the brown sugar, applesauce, eggs, honey and oil. Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture. Add the oats. Stir just until combined.

Fill muffins cups. Place in the oven for 16-18 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center of muffin comes out clean. Cool for about 5 minutes in cups and then remove from cups and cool on a wire rack.

Print recipe

Yum! These are just scrumptious. I hope you'll give 'em a try soon!

Don't forget to enter my giveaway!





Share/Bookmark

35 comments:

Joie de vivre said...

These are beautiful! Perfect for autumn.

Rhiannon Bosse said...

Ohhh fall time is here!! How lovely :) These def make my mouth water a little bit too, Kim. And falling off the diet everyonce and a while is A OK, I promise! xo

Joanne said...

I was so excited when you tweeted about these! I love apple anything. It's beginning to look a lot like fall around here!

Foodiewife said...

Just call me Muffin Mama on the weekends. They're so easy to make. LOVE this healthier version and I can't wait for a weekend morning when I can actually make these.
The photos are gorgeous, too!

Monet said...

Kim...what beautiful muffins! I love the addition of all the healthful ingredients too. And the way you placed the slice of apple on top is just beautiful. Thanks for sharing!

jacqueline said...

Dearest Kim, these muffins looks really good and it's so nice to knwo that they also have a really balance handful of ingrediants. So happy to know that the weather is much cooler now. :) Have a lovely merry happy day and love to you!

Angie's Recipes said...

With the arrival of autumn, our kitchen is going to be filled with all kinds of different spiced bakes...these muffins look beautiful!

Koek! said...

It's muffin mania here at Ungourmet! Delish...
Robyn :-P

Barbara said...

That is such a lovely photo, Kim!

And what fun to see an apple muffin. It makes me think fall is here. (something difficult to do in Florida!) You may have fallen off the sugar wagon, but I do like the whole wheat flour, oats and lo fat milk. Good balance!

Faith said...

Oats and apples are a fantastic combo and these sound amazing! Fall (my favorite season!) is definitely in the air! :)

Stella said...

Your muffins are beautiful, Kim. They looks so delicious. Though at this point, sugar is starting to sound not so great to me (smile).
I fell off the band wagon too about 4 days ago btw. It wasn't b/c I wanted sugar but due to travelling and such-just no food options. The next day, I felt pretty bad in a way I can't describe. I can't help but think it was my day of sugar and a.p. flour consumption?!?
Anyway, I don't want to guilt you or myself for that matter;)
XX Stella

Barbara Bakes said...

Looks like it's loaded with delicious, healthy ingredients. The chunky applesauce and apple slice on top are a nice touch.

♥peachkins♥ said...

such gorgeous muffins!



The Peach Kitchen
peach and things
blowing peachkisses

Chiara "Kika" Assi said...

I wish I lived in a bigger household so I could make muffins and have everyone eat them... these look fantastic, I love the little slice of apple on top!

TKW said...

These are something I know my girls would like in a lunchbox. Terrific fall flavors!

Biz said...

I actually like muffins that aren't overly sweet - perfect fall muffin!

Emily Z said...

I saw your posts about this on Facebook! They do look absolutely delicious. I bet that your kitchen smelled amazing!

Anonymous said...

This is such a perfect recipe for the season - I have lots of apples to make these with!

Abby said...

I think i should pass this recipe to my mom... she loves muffins!

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

What a fabulous representation of fall!

Unknown said...

What a delicious sounding muffin, chock full of fantastic ingredients. This doesn't look like much of a fall from your diet daaaahling.
*kisses* HH

The Blonde Duck said...

Oh, these look soooo good!

Michelle @ Find Your Balance said...

I bet molasses would taste great in these, or date sugar. They look so yummy :-)

Evan @swEEts said...

Yum! I love spiced apples and in muffind I know they're delicious. I wish it were cool here.. all these fall dishes are making me wish more and more I still lived on the east coast!

Velva said...

For these muffins, I could easily fall off the sugar wagon. These look delicious. A perfect snack or grab n'go breakfast.

Unknown said...

Oh... wow.

Those look divine.

You should definitely send me one.

Right now.

Come on.

Is it sent yet?

Joie de vivre said...

Thanks for visiting!

From the Kitchen said...

These look delicious. And your previous muffins do as well. I'm just about to make pear muffins since a neighbor dropped off a bagful of pears from his tree.

Best,
Bonnie

Jeannie said...

Yummy looking muffins! I tried baking muffins with non-stick pan but had difficulty unmoulding them! sigh! back to using paper liners.

Suzi said...

Those look amazing Kim! I must make some for my boys. Breakfast ususally consists of something I can make the night before and this fits the bill.

clearlytangled said...

i'm glad it's feeling like autumn for some people! definitely not down here... these look great. i think my husband would love them.

love lives in the kitchen said...

Hi! it's great to hear from you again after summer holiday :) i made something similar to these lovely muffins recently, yours look really great! have a sweet week dear friend!
justyna

Samantha @ The Savvy Soybean said...

These look gorgeous!! A perfect way to ring in fall. And I believe I have all the ingredients sitting around... hmmm =)

Stephanie said...

Mmmm! These look so very yummy! A little bump in the diet road isn't bad at all! :-)

ck said...

I'm just taking these out of the oven now...SO GOOD! I didn't have chunky applesauce so I used 1/2C unsweetened applesauce and 1/2C minced apples. Might as well try to cram in more apples, right?

Thanks so much for these amazing muffin recipes. You've gotten me hooked on these things for breakfast.

Related Posts with Thumbnails