10.12.2009

It's not soup! It's chowder!

I've mentioned before that my husband is not a fan of soup. I try really hard not to make soup but sometimes, on Winnie-the-Pooh kind of days, I will find myself at the stove making soup. I don't even know how it happens. It's all fuzzy. One minute I'm grabbing steak out of the fridge and the next minute I'm tossing veggies into a big pot. Oops! Silly me.

I couple of bloggy friends mentioned that I might try calling my soup STEW instead to see if it would go over better. Well, I've found another name for soup that seems to cause less resistance and face twisting. CHOWDER. The man seems to be fairly comfortable with idea of CHOWDER.

DSC05340

Spicy Chicken Black Bean and Corn Chowder
by theUngourmet

1 lb ground chicken
2 cloves minced garlic
2 tbsp butter
1 15 oz can black bean, drained and rinsed
1 15 oz can of corn, drained (You can also use fresh or frozen if you like.)
2 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
5 cups chicken broth
1 tbsp chili powder (more if you want it spicier)
1/4 cup diced red bell pepper
1 cup half and half or cream
3 tbsp of flour
salt and cracked pepper to taste
your favorite hot sauce, if desired

Saute the garlic in butter for a minute or two. Add the chicken and cook thoroughly. Transfer to a soup pot. Add the beans, corn, potatoes, broth, chili powder, and bell pepper. Cook for about 20 minutes. Whisk together the half and half and the flour. Add to the pot. Stir. Simmer uncovered for 10-15 more minutes, stirring occasionally until soup has thickened nicely. Serve with some warm biscuits or crusty bread.

DSC05339

I really liked the spicy flavor of the chili powder in this soup chowder. Maybe I'll say it a little LOUDER. I love ChOwDeR (and soup)!

40 comments:

Queen B. said...

oh hooray...........this sounds divine..........

Angie's Recipes said...

It's delicious. That's what it counts. I used to think the chowder is more or less like cream soup.
Angie's Recipes

The Blonde Duck said...

This chowder looks wonderful!

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

What's not to love about this? I really like your fall header too.
Sam

Barbara Bakes said...

Sounds like a great soup, I mean chowder to me!

MsTypo said...

That chowder looks like the perfect meal for a chilly fall day. :)

Faith said...

I'm a huge fan of soup/chowder/stew myself! Perfect for a blustery autumn day! :)

noble pig said...

It sounds so good, especially on this very cold, rainy day!

NKP said...

Hee, hee, hee. Reminds me of the Simpsons. Chow-daihr!

Unknown said...

I'm going to have to try your "name trick". My husband isn't a fan of soup but loves chicken and dumplings and beef stew. Your chowder is making my stomach growl over here.

Juliana said...

Oh! Love your soup...I mean chowder :-) Looks very yummie and rich! Great for this weather!

Palidor said...

LOL, you could try, but your husband might be onto you. ;-) Soup or chowder, it looks delicious.

KennyT said...

Hahahahaha, that's clever!

Kitty said...

I wish i could just save your entire blog in my recipe book. This looks so yummy!!!

teresa said...

i love this, and my husband would too, especially if i called it chowder! the flavors look fantastic!

Catherine said...

This looks so good!

Cathy said...

When I think of chowder I always think fish. This chicken version with black beans sounds positively delicious. And I would like the chili powder kick too.

ck said...

Mmmmm...that looks delicious! Any suggestions on what to call soup to get kids to eat it? (Other than Eat-It-Or-Go-To-Bed-Early?)

Jhonny walker said...

For a bear of little brain...you are very smart ungorurmet :) Winnie the pooh days...what a wonderful word for days which are...well winnie the pooh like :)

Katy ~ said...

Aren't men just the funniest? I guess chowder sounds manlier???

A rose by any other name .... this soup-chowder looks fulling and full of wonderful goodness!

♥peachkins♥ said...

Rain or Shine...soup or chowder...I'm eating it!

Delicious Dishings said...

Ha ha. My boyfriend always cringes when I want to make soup. He tells me soup is not a meal. But I could definitely make a meal of some good soup (or chowder) and fresh bread!

Kathy Walker said...

Yummy. It is so soup weather! Finally. Thank you.

Claudia said...

Who csres what you call it? It's delicious. (And in my home - it's not "goat cheese," it's "chevre.")

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

What yummy soup, errr, I mean chowder. lol. I love soup. I could eat it every night for the rest of my life! I am going to be trying that soon!

I hope things are going well for you! I love reading your FB updates - you are a funny lady!

XOXO
jen

debra@dustjacket said...

Now Chowder just sounds great, how could he resist :)
xoxo

TKW said...

My hubby tolerates soup, but he really likes chowder! This one looks like a winner!

Ginger said...

Kim,

If I gave my husband soup for dinner he would wonder where the rest of his meal was!! Did your hubby like the chowder? It really looks like a delicious bowl of comfort. I love the flavors!

Reeni said...

This is such a delicious chowder!! I could dive right into that bowl - mouth wide open, of course!

Randi Troxell said...

this looks great... and by the way.. men are just SO weird sometimes!

nora@ffr said...

impressive!! this is just beyond impressive!!! ye chowder sound rili delicious!
cheers and have a great weekend!

Ali said...

You could do what Rachael Ray does and call it 'stoup' or maybe not, her made up words drive me nuts sometimes!

pigpigscorner said...

wow, I don't think anyone can resist this!

Anonymous said...

Looks so flavorful ! I will take chowder over soup anyday...its much richer !

Mary Bergfeld said...

Soup or chowder or stew - this sounds delicious.

Anonymous said...

Your chowder looks excellent, I would love the spicy flavors!

kirsty_girl said...

This looks really good. I think I'll try it in a slow cooker.
I am also a big soup fan and usually have a pot in the fridge at all times.

Lo said...

Lots of great stuff in that soup... er... chowder! Isn't it funny how terminology can shape our perception of what we're eating??

the twins said...

i love chowder and yours looks great!

petite nyonya said...

This chowder looks utterly delicious!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails