I hope everyone enjoyed a spectacular 4th of July! We had a great time visiting with old friends, making some new friends, and catching up with family. -Oh yes, and getting a few mosquito bites along the way!
In addition to the strawberries I picked at the farm the other day I also found a few ears of corn and a Walla Walla Sweet onion that really wanted to come home with me. Between the zucchini, basil, and green beans in my garden and the wonderful veggies from the farm I had all of the makings for a wonderful fresh summer vegetable salad. I decided this would be a nice contribution to the barbecue.
- 3 ears of corn (Remove kernels from cob.)
- 1 15 ounce can of organic corn (The cooked and raw corn are great together.)
- 1/2-1 cup fresh green beans, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 4 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 2-3 small zucchini, sliced
- 1 Walla Walla Sweet onion, roughly chopped
- 1 bunch green onion, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, roughly chopped
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cider vinegar
- kosher salt and cracked pepper to taste
Drop all of your veggies into a big bowl. Whisk together the oil, vinegar, salt and pepper. Pour over the salad. Toss and chill. Then grab your self a big bowl of this salad, sit back, and just chill!
I just love the simple, fresh flavors in this salad. Perfect for summer!
~veggies are good~
I also wanted to take a moment to thank Rebecca at Chow and Chatter for this sweet award. Rebecca's blog is full of great recipes and nutrition information. Thanks Rebecca!