5.31.2011

Pita Bread and Peanut Butter Hummus

IMG_2436

Yesterday I made pita bread for the first time ever. I've been wanting to try it for some time now but I was worried it wouldn't come out right.

DSC08247

It's actually easier to make than I expected. The dough is simple to put together and the whole process only takes a couple of hours. I was worried my pocket bread wouldn't puff up in the oven...but it did...and let me tell you, I did a little happy dance right there by my oven. :0)

DSC08248

Check out those lovely pockets just begging to be stuffed with something yummy!

DSC08252

I was pleased with how well these pita breads held up to stuffing. Ordinarily, I buy the ones at my local grocer and they always seem to crack and fall apart. Not fun. My family and I packed them full of ground beef seasoned with oregano, parsley and garlic, feta cheese, kalamata olives, tomato, lettuce and tzatziki and they held up beautifully.

IMG_2437

I also whipped up some hummus made with peanut butter instead of tahini. I've seen recipes for peanut butter hummus on a couple of blogs now and just had to give it a try. My daughter thought it was too peanut-y but my husband and I thought it was pretty darn tasty.

I'm so happy I finally braved pita bread. I will most definitely make it again soon. Have you ever made pita bread? How about hummus?

Pita Bread
recipe adapted from the Fresh Loaf

Makes 8 pitas

Print recipe

3 cups flour (14.25 ounces)
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp instant yeast
1 tbsp honey
2/3-3/4 cup water, room temperature
2 tbsp olive oil

Mix the flour, salt and yeast in a medium sized bowl. In a separate bowl whisk together the honey, water and olive oil. Hand mix until dough forms a ball, adding a little more water if needed. Place dough on a floured work surface and knead for about 10 minutes. Place bowl upside down over dough and allow to sit for about 90 minutes or until dough has doubled in size. Gently punch down dough to release some of the trapped gases and divide into 8 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a ball. Cover with a large bowl or damp towel and allow to rest for 20 minutes.

While dough is resting, place a baking stone or an upside down cookie sheet into the oven and preheat to 400 degrees.

After dough has rested, spread a light coating of flour on work surface. Sprinkle a little flour on top of dough ball and roll out to 1/4 to 1/8 thick circle. If dough resists kneading, let it rest for a few minutes and go back to it. Repeat process with each dough ball. Place pitas into oven (I made mine and baked them a few at a time.) and bake for 4-5 minutes until they puff up like a pillow and are lightly browned.

Serve warm or at room temperature with your favorite dip or stuffed full of your favorite sandwich ingredients.

Note: The original post for this recipe gives some helpful and informative information but I found that I only needed 1/2 of the water called for in the orginal.

Peanut Butter Hummus
by theUngourmet

makes about 2 cups

Print recipe

2 tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced

1 15 oz can chickpeas, drained
2 tbsp lemon juice
1-2 tbsp creamy peanut butter
1 tbsp olive oil
kosher salt
water

Heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and saute until golden. Allow to cool. Place the chickpeas, lemon juice, peanut butter, tbsp olive oil and the garlic and olive oil into a food processor and mix until smooth. Add a little water if needed to gain desired consistency. Season with kosher salt to taste.

Hope you all are having a fantastic week! ;0)





Share/Bookmark

32 comments:

Jeannie said...

No, I have not tried making pita bread or hummus but you have inspired me to try it...yours look very nice, I would love to do a happy dance too:D

Katarina said...

Yes, I have made both pita bread and hummus (with tahini, not peanut), and they are just great. I would have to try hummus with peanut butter! Thanks!

Maris (In Good taste) said...

Homemade pita must be outrageous! Looks so great!

pam said...

Congrats on your pita bread, it's gorgeous!!! Also, thanks for the PB hummus, I always have peanut butter, but not always tahini.

Kristal said...

The bread looks wonderful and the hummus peaks my interest. The other day I made chocolate hummus {it's posted on my blog}. It was so good!

Meister @ The Nervous Cook said...

I've never made pita but would love to try it (naan, too -- both on my short list!), but I have made hummus and found it totally not worth the time and energy I had to put into it! It was so disappointing.

(I think I worried too much about making it "perfect" -- and also spent almost an hour peeling the chick peas, which I would never do again.)

Yours looks and sounds delicious. If I do ever venture down the homemade hummus road again, I might try PB instead of tahini just to avoid having to buy another ingredient! Great idea.

Kim said...

Making homemade pita is so much fun and I just love watching the bread puff up in the oven. Like you, I'm in love with the idea of adding peanut butter to hummus. I just know that I would love it! What a tasty treat!

Gloria Baker said...

What lovely and nice recipe! I love! gloria

love lives in the kitchen said...

delicious! and i just love this red dot pan! so sweet...
have a great weekend,
justyna

Randi Troxell said...

they look seriously awesome!!

Cathy said...

Wow, I am really impressed! I have the same gripe about store bought pita - it cracks and falls apart. I can't wait to try this, Kim.

Erin said...

Wow! This is fantastic looking! Your pita bread looks wonderful and wow on your hummus! I've never had peanut butter hummus before but I can't wait to try it! Thanks!

Faith said...

Your pita bread looks like it came out perfect, Kim! And that peanut butter hummus...out of this world!

chow and chatter said...

oh wow this pita looks perfect for the first time and what a cool hummus, all the best for settling into your new town

Claudia said...

I make hummus all the time - but have never tackled pita. Yours is perfect! Was it really easier than you thought? The peanut butter hummus intrigues me and I will give it a whirl!

Joanne said...

I've made pita bread before but mine didn't puff up in any normal sort of way. It was tragic. I need to try your recipe because those look great!

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

I need to try my hand at making hummus. I buy way too much of it!

Hazel - Chicken in a Cherry Sauce said...

Congrats on your homemade pita! Peanut butter hummus?! I can't believe I've never thought of it before - sounds incredible!

~Kathie~ said...

I love good pita bread but have never thought to try and make it. You have inspired me! :)

Vittle me this... said...

I need to try this recipe!

jacqueline said...

Dearest sweet Kim, i love pita and your pita bread looks soo yummie! Thanks so much for sharing it with us. Have a lovely merry happy weekend and love to you!

pigpigscorner said...

Well done! and I love your spin on the hummus.

Katie said...

I'm obsessed with peanut butter hummus now! I tried it about a month ago and am completely in love. Good for you for making your own pita. That's really impressive!

Julie said...

I've never made either but I'd certainly love to! I love how that bread just puffed up; so impressive :)

Greedy Rosie said...

I've never tried to make pitta before - I have fear when it comes to breads! I have to say, hummus with peanuts sounds like a lovely idea,

Anonymous said...

Homemade pita bread sounds so good and love the sound of pb hummus!

Tanna said...

LOOKS DELICIOUS!! homemade breads of any kind are killer! and peanut butter... love it! blessings ~ tanna

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

The kind of food I love. Your pitta breads look lovely (nothing can beat the homemade stuff) and that hummus sounds particularly interesting (I adore PB)!

I hope you'll like the Korvapuustit...

Cheers,

Rosa

Magic of Spice said...

Your pita bread looks perfect! I adore hummus and have made variations of this but never pita...excellent job :)

koralee said...

Oh yum...my daughter would love this...thanks my sweet friend. xoxoxo

The Blonde Duck said...

I've never liked hummus, but I've never tried PB hummus. I know I would love that!

Natalie said...

I've never heard of pb hummus but I'm intrigued---yum!

Related Posts with Thumbnails