11.17.2010

zuppa toscana...sort of

DSC07647
A girl can't just live on pumpkin cinnamon rolls and pumpkin bread pudding you know. Eventually, she needs to enjoy a nice comforting bowl of soup. It warms her body and her heart! Soup is truly good for the soul! :)

DSC07643
Apparently, the Olive Garden has a soup sort of like this. Well, I haven't visited the Olive Garden in years but I am a frequent visitor of Claudia's blog, Journey of an Italian Cook. Claudia has a wonderful recipe for Zuppa Toscano...Toscana?? that I couldn't resist trying. As some of you know, I have quite a thing for soup. My husband does not. I only make him suffer through a night of soup every once in a while. He's learning to just live with it.

DSC07648
Look at all of this goodness! It's love in a bowl. :)

zuppa toscana
adapted from Journey of an Italian Cook

3 tbsp olive oil
2 cloves minced garlic
2 tsp minced dried onion
1/2 lb Italian style chicken sausage, cooked and crumbled
1 cup cooked shredded chicken
1 can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2 carrots, chopped
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tbsp fresh chopped parsley
4 cups chicken broth
1 can evaporated milk
salt and cracked pepper, to taste

Garnish
fresh chopped parsley
grated parmesan

In an 8 qt stock pot, saute the garlic and onion in the olive oil over medium heat for about 30 seconds. Add the sausage, chicken, beans, carrot, herbs, salt and pepper. Give it a stir. Add the broth. Simmer covered for 20-25 minutes. Add the milk and simmer another 5 minutes.

Garnish with parsley and cheese. Serve warm with biscuits or a nice crusty Italian bread.

Print recipe

Be sure and stop by Claudia's blog and say hello.





Share/Bookmark

30 comments:

Angie's Recipes said...

Kim, don't finish it all, pleeeeeeeese.....I am coming over for a bowl of this great comforting soup!
It looks so GOOD!

Rhiannon Bosse said...

With the weather today I could go for some warm and robust soup myself. Sounds delish Kim :)

Faith said...

Looks fantastic! I haven't been to The Olive Garden in ages, but this was always one of my favorite things to order there! I bet the homemade version is even better! :)

teresa said...

i really love the addition of beans in there. next time i make this, i'm doing it your way!

Nutmeg Nanny said...

Looks great! The zuppa toscana is my favorite soup at Olive Garden. In fact it's the only thing I order!

Claudia said...

Many thanks for the shout-out, Kim! It looks delicious - I love how changeable it is and the addition of chicken makes it so hearty. And (she says demurely) it is of course Toscana - I don't know what I was thinking ...or typing. I want your photos!

Joanne said...

Haha oh husbands. Sometimes they have to make sacrifices too! This soup looks incredibly creamy and delicious. I'd like it with a side of pumpkin cinnamon roll.

Julie said...

That definitely is love in a bowl. Looks delicious!

Taylor said...

How can he not like soup?! Crazy man... This looks delicious!

Faith said...

How funny! I made a friends version of zuppa toscana yesterday only mine had potatos and spicy italian sausage!!!

Jeannie said...

That sure looks like a great soup to have on a cold day!

Chiara "Kika" Assi said...

This zuppa toscana looks wonderful! Thick and chunky and —I'm sure— tasty! Thanks for sharing. Soup is my favorite course and I'm always looking for new recipes to enjoy it.

The Blonde Duck said...

But we could have the cinnamon rolls with the soup! :)

Monet said...

Hi Kim,
As much as I would like to live on cinnamon rolls...I know you are right! There is nothing like a warm bowl of soup. This looks so hearty and comforting. Thank you for sharing. I hope you are having a glorious Thursday!

Stella said...

Hey Kim! This soup does look wonderful. I can see why you wanted to try it. I'm going to bookmark it for when my Mom's here actually. She loved Italian soups like this...
p.s. I've met people who really dislike soup. So weird (smile)!

Emily Z said...

You're right, soup is so wonderful for the soul. And this soup looks absolutely wonderful. I would seriously have some right now if you put some in front of me! :)

Randi Troxell said...

oh!
it looks pretty much amazing!!

Jeffrey and Juli said...

Wow! Great minds must think alike. Jeffrey just made this soup for me. I love the addition of the chick peas!

Magic of Spice said...

Love that final photo...
Great looking soup :)

Beth said...

That looks delicious. I love Claudia's blog too!

sweetlife said...

great soup, I love the addition of beans...I could live off this soup and cinnamon rolls(LOL)

sweetlife

Krista said...

I just visited the Olive Garden a couple of weeks ago for the first time in like...forever. What do you know, I ordered the zuppa toscana. It was really good. This looks even better. I'll have to give it a whirl! Thanks for posting it. : ) Trying those pumpkin rolls in the morning. I'm pretty excited. : )

chow and chatter said...

was thinking i had seen this before looks great adore Claudias blog as well

scrambledhenfruit said...

My hubby and I both love soup! This one looks so hearty and flavorful- I'm looking forward to trying it. :)

Jenn said...

I guess you're giving Olive Garden a run for their money. hehehe...who need to go out when you can make it at home.

jacqueline said...

Dearest Kim, oh my a soup recipe...yipeee~ I am a hugs fan of soup of al kinds. :) This really looks sooo yummieeee and a must try! Perfect for up coming thanksgiving! Have a lovely merry happy weekend sweet friend and love to yoU!

koralee said...

I so agree...soup is for the soul...especially on a cold day like today...this looks amazing.

hugs my friend.

lisa is cooking said...

Looks like a rich and hearty soup. Perfect for a cold day! The beans sound great in this too.

Velva said...

This look soul satisfying. Delicious!!!!

Anonymous said...

I love soup, especially now that the evenings are darker and cooler earlier. It seems like the only fitting meal some nights and yours looks delicious :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails