5.05.2010

sour cream banana chocolate chip muffins

This week is Teacher Appreciation Week at my kid's school. Each day 2 different classes are in charge of preparing and delivering either a breakfast or lunch to the school. This muffin was my contribution for the 7th grade class.

IMG_9376

I really love the taste of chocolate and cinnamon in cakes and muffins. I also like the using sour cream for moistness and a bit of tang. Banana is always a good choice for added flavor and moisture as well.

IMG_9379

It was hard to keep everyone's paws off of these long enough to deliver them to the school. I actually split one 3 ways with the kids shortly after they were done. We had to do a little taste test, right?! Don't tell anyone but...I stole just one more for my breakfast. Shame on me! These are so terrific! I'm going to have to whip up another batch soon.

sour cream banana chocolate chip muffins
adapted from cooks.com

makes about 16 muffins

Print recipe

1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 ripe bananas, mashed
1 cup low fat sour cream
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease muffin pans.

Whisk together the flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt and brown sugar. Set aside. With an electric mixer mix the butter until fluffy. Add the vanilla and mix to combine. Add the eggs, one at a time and beat until well incorporated. Add the bananas and sour cream. Beat to combine. Add the dry ingredients and stir just until combined. Fold in the chocolate chips.

Evenly divide batter into 16 muffins cups and bake for 16-18 minutes. Cool in pans for 5 minutes. Remove from pans and cool on a wire rack.

I know you'll love these too! Give 'em a try! ;)

Share/Bookmark


34 comments:

KennyT said...

I wish I were one of the teachers at your kids' school!

Jo said...

These look {and sound} delicious! I think I may need to make these for myself ~ I promise to share with the other teachers in my building ;)

Jo

Olive said...

I ♥ muffins! I have to try sour cream next time I make muffins, I like that you use whole wheat pastry flour in the recipe too. Thanks Kim! :)

Joanne said...

You DEFINITELY had to taste test! And then again in the morning to make sure nothing had happened to them over night. It was critical. I understand.

They look delicious! I love chocolate and cinnamon in my baked goods.

Anonymous said...

Such cute muffins and they sound absolutely scrumptious!

Xiao Yen Recipes said...

My daughters will sooo love this! What a delicious combo - sour cream - banana- and chocolate chip :)

Jenn said...

Mmmm...great choice for your contribution. Chocolate and muffins what more can kids wish for...aside from toys. :)

scrappysue said...

yuuuuuuuuuuuuuum kim!

Angie's Recipes said...

Lucky teachers! These look scrmptious. Sour cream add extra moist to these muffins.

ck said...

I know it's been said already, but seriously? Oh to be a teacher at your children's school.

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

Lucky teachers at your children's school. I like the sour cream in them.
Sam

Barbara said...

Those teachers are really lucky! I would love to be in line for one of your muffins! They are chock full of goodness.

TKW said...

I imagine the teachers are going to be fighting over who teaches your kid next year! Delicious!

Kim said...

I bet the teacher's loved these! The added chocolate and cinnamon sounds amazing. I agree with you about using sour cream in baked goods; it definitely makes them moist and adds that extra tang.

Unknown said...

You seem to be the master at making little decadent treats. These look so delicious.
Have a fabulous mother's day weekend.
*kisses* HH

Pam said...

Sour cream really makes muffins so moist. They look really tasty.

♥peachkins♥ said...

I ♥ seeing your muffins! I wish I am your neighbor..

blowing peachkisses
The Peach Kitchen
peach and things

jacqueline said...

WOW these looks soo yummie!! Chocolate chips! Thanks so much for sharing! Have a lovely merry happy mother's day and love to yoU! Happy mother's day to you!

Erin said...

These look absolutely delicious!

I wish your kids went to my school!

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

Lucky teachers! Lucky kid too I bet!

Janice said...

Sound so good.

Faith said...

Those are some lucky teachers! I probably would have grabbed one for breakfast too! ;) They look incredible, Kim!

Unknown said...

muffins must be in the air or something..i've been on a muffin kick lately and i see them everywhere! LOL....these look delish! I too love adding sour cream for moistness.

Connie said...

What a great idea! love the combination!

Delicious Dishings said...

The only thing that tops chocolate, cinnamon, and bananas together in a muffin is some peanut butter frosting! I love that flavor combo too.

AllThingsYummy said...

These are in the oven right now as I'm commenting. Smells sooooo good. I'm always looking for new muffin recipes. Thanks for sharing this one.

Gloria Baker said...

Kim these look wonderful and delicious!! Love them! have a wonderful and beauty Mom's day! gloria

Katie@Cozydelicious said...

I love sour cream in baked goods. Muffins, coffee cakes, it just makes everything so moist and yummy! And you can;t go wrong with chocolate. These look so yummy. I'm sure the teachers loved them!

pigpigscorner said...

Lucky teachers! I like sour cream in baked goods, adds a nice tang and makes it so moist!

Unknown said...

I am making the muffins this week and was wondering if anyone added extra banana? The recipe calls for two bananas but thought adding another may add more flavor? Any thoughts?

Unknown said...

Looks wonderful! Has anyone added an extra banana to the recipe? It calls for 2 bananas and was wondering if you added a 3rd one how would it change the recipe. Would it give it more flavor?

Any thoughts? Thanks,
Johanna

theUngourmet said...

Johanna- I can't find another way to reach you so hopefully you will check back for this comment. I would think adding another banana would work out fine. Maybe reduced the sour cream to 3/4 cup. I hope you enjoy this muffins! - Kim

Unknown said...

Thanks so much Kim. I will try the small change and let you know.

Johanna

Sunshine baker said...

I just made these. I chose to make 12 large muffins and 12 mini-muffins. It is the 1st time I have used whole wheat pastry flour. They turned out fine.

Related Posts with Thumbnails