4.13.2010

loaded breakfast potato

I didn't want you all to think I sat around eating upside-down cupcakes for breakfast each morning! Once in a while I eat other things...like this loaded breakfast potato. This is so quick and easy you could even make it on a busy weekday morning. It's also such a versatile recipe. You can use bacon instead of sausage or a vegetarian meat substitute, you can add veggies, switch up the cheese...Go Wild!

IMG_8934

I baked the potato in the microwave. I know, I know, that's not the most nutritious way to do it, but I was short on time to bake it in the oven so.... After it was done baking, I put a bit of oil on a non-stick skillet and smooshed my potato onto the pan. I added kosher salt, cracked pepper and garlic powder and browned lightly on both sides. Then, I added my toppings. So good!

IMG_8936

loaded breakfast potato
by theUngourmet

Print recipe

1 medium red potato
1 tbsp olive oil
kosher salt
cracked pepper
garlic powder
1/2 cup crumbled breakfast sausage
1 scrambled egg
1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
hot sauce, optional

Pierce potato several times and cook in microwave until tender. Heat oil on a non-stick skillet and smash potato onto skillet. Season with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Brown nicely on both sides. Top with crumbled sausage, scrambled egg, cheese and hot sauce. Serve hot.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I also want to tell you about a product I found recently. It's completely non-food related but it's so great I just had to share it with you! Leah, the creator of FOOTGLOSS is right here in Portland. It's a terrific product! You simply apply the balm to any part of your feet that tend to callous or blister when you wear your favorite pair of Jimmy Choo's or, in my case, whatever is on sale. Ta-Da!, no more callouses, no more blisters...just happy feet!



FOOTGLOSS is less than ten bucks and lasts a good, long time. You can order online if you wish.

I like it. You should try it.

Happy Wednesday!

Share/Bookmark

42 comments:

MaryMoh said...

Mmmm....looks simple, easy and quick yet delicious. Thanks for sharing.

Jenn said...

If onlly I weren't so lazy in the mornings to actually make breakfast. Luckily I can make it for brunch or may even dinner(?)

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

I really love the look of the presentation... is that a roasted onion next to the photo??

Joanne said...

i so rarely have super savory things like this for breakfast (due to laziness) but this would be an AWESOME lunch. Totally bookmarked!

Christo Gonzales said...

hoof cream? that was my first thought...LOL - this potato is a great idea - my kid likes baked potatoes all the time so to kick them up is even better.

Chiara "Kika" Assi said...

I have to admit I DID think that all you ate were awesome muffins and cupcakes =)
The potato looks great and you just taught me something I didn't know —that you can cook them in the microwave. Who'd have thought. It's kind of a bittersweet discovery because I'm not sure my house in Europe will have a microwave. We'll see!

TKW said...

This is a breakfast I can get excited about! I love the idea of smooshing it and then browning in a skillet.

Jen said...

I LOVE this breakfast idea. In fact, I think we need to have breakfast for dinner tonight so that I can make it.

Jeannie said...

I like the look of this potato meal, but I prefer your upsidedown cupcakes:D I have a sweet tooth!

Anonymous said...

I need to try this potato, sounds like an awesome breakfast!

Bit of Butter said...

Mmmmm jacket potatoes. I learned to love these while living in London. My favorite is a potato with chicken curry on top!

Randi Troxell said...

that potato looks soooo bad on soooo many different levels.. but OH SO GOOD!

and thnx for telling us about the footgloss... i think i'll go there now to get some.. if i don't care for them like i should my feet get horrible in the summer..

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I asbsolutely love this idea for breakfast. The footgloss would come in handy now that our tootsies are naked to the world too.

Julie said...

Sounds like a wonderful way to have a potato any time of day!

Pam said...

Now that's my kind of breakfast! It sounds and looks delicious! Love, love breakfast and will try this.

MommyToTwoBoys said...

I can't even begin to tell you how happy I am you found me through SITS so that now I found you! That potato, and everything else on your blog looks fantastic! I just subscribed to your email feed so I can start trying out these delicious recipes! I am over excited!!!

Nana said...

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Barbara Bakes said...

Great idea! I've never thought to have a baked potato for breakfast, but it makes perfect sense.

Nadji said...

Une belle assiette bien appétissante.
Bravo!
See soon.

noble pig said...

I've seen a product like that, Band-Aid also makes it. And that potato...YUM!!

Reeni said...

This really looks like a treat for breakfast! It's a great idea!

Juliana said...

Wow, what a great and full filling breakfast...great way to start a day :-)

Faith said...

What a great breakfast idea! I never would have thought to make a breakfast-food loaded potato...thanks for the great idea, Kim!

Kathy Walker said...

Wow,my kind of breakfast!Kind of like a breakfast burrito sans the tortilla.I will be trying this.
Thanks for sharing.

Rhiannon Bosse said...

GAH!!! Come be my mom and make this for me every morning :) I will give free foot rubs! xx

tasteofbeirut said...

Kim

This is a great recipe especially on days when you don't feel like cooking ! I would eat it for lunch, since I can't dig eggs in the AM.

Emily said...

This looks fantastic... I am always looking for new breakfast ideas for when we have company in town. I will definitely keep this one in mind.

sweetlife said...

love love this tater..so many options for toppings..yum

sweetlife

Claudia said...

I love that you can play with the toppings. Wouldn't I have happy family if if they came down to breakfast and found this? (They'd like the cupcakes, too)

marla {family fresh cooking} said...

The loaded potatoes look like the perfect balanced breakfast. Footgloss...yes, random but it sounds like a great product!

Julia said...

As a fan of potatoes, sausage, cheese and general hearty breakfast meals I would eagerly gobble this one up in a snap!

Cathy said...

A loaded baker is one of my favorite meals, and I really like the idea of smashing it on a skillet and browning it a bit. I could eat this any time of day.

♥peachkins♥ said...

That is what I call breakfast!!!!


blowing peachkisses
The Peach Kitchen
peach and things

teresa said...

i love that you use red potatoes, my favorite. what a great breakfast, and to get to eat it in such a lovely setting...mmmm.

i love the footgloss, i could really use something like that now that we're in sandal weather.

Bob said...

This is an awesome fricking idea. I'm making it this weekend.

Kim said...

This is a fabulous idea! I love it!

Seasoned & Stirred said...

Your loaded breakfast potato (and the setting) looks wonderful! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Anonymous said...

Mmm, that looks delicious. I am always hungry about 10 minutes after I eat my cereal in the morning; something tells me I wouldn't have the same problem after eating this creation! (I also love the use of the word "smooshed" - very evocative!)

NYCGAL said...

This is sick (Good sick lol) I am going to have to make it for my hubby, looks incredible! My mouth is watering!

ck said...

My mouth is watering for this right now...

Katy ~ said...

I love potatoes for breakfast! Why didn't I think of this. Brilliant!!

G. said...

I found you via frugal gourmet. :) This is my kind of meal!! I love putting anything and everything on top of potatoes. yum. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails