3.29.2010

Cinnamon Raisin Chocolate Chip Brioches

I tend to get a little intimidated by yeast breads. I remember back in high school I made a sourdough starter on the top of my fridge. My end result was a loaf of sourdough that didn't taste too terrible but weighed about eight pounds! I've tried making bread a few times since then with mediocre results. When I saw this cute little brioche recipe in the 500 cupcakes cookbook I couldn't resist giving them a try.

IMG_8753

I dug through my cupboard and found a yeast packet that was still good until April. I don't even remember what I bought that yeast for now. Hmm. It's amazing what you can find in the far recesses of your cupboards sometimes!

IMG_8761

I did change this recipe just a bit. I chose to use whole wheat pastry flour instead of the all-purpose flour. I also threw in some cinnamon.

IMG_8771

These were easier to bake than I thought they would be and I really love the way they turned out overall. The original recipe called for a twenty minute baking time. This was a tad too long for my oven. I will reduce the time the next time I bake them.

cinnamon raisin chocolate chip brioches

recipe adapted from 500 cupcakes

Print recipe

1 packet of active dry yeast (about 1/2 tbsp)
1/2 cup warm water
1 tsp sugar
2 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1 tsp ground cinnamon
4 eggs
1/4 cup sugar
pinch of salt
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
1 beaten egg


Combine the yeast, water, and the tsp of sugar in a large bowl. Stir well and leave in a warm place for 10 minutes. Stir in 1/2 cup of the flour until the mixture is a smooth paste. Beat the eggs and add them to the yeast mixture. Add the sugar and salt. Stir in the remaining flour and the cinnamon until dough is soft and slightly sticky. Cover with plastic wrap and set in a warm place for 45 minutes or until doubled in size. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease 14 mini brioche or muffin cups. Beat in the butter, raisins and chocolate chips. Fill cups 1/2 way. Set in a warm place to rise for about 20 minutes, until the dough has risen to about 2/3 each cup.

Brush brioche with a little of the beaten egg and bake for 16-18 minutes. Cool in cups for 5 minutes, remove and cool on a wire rack. Store for up to 2 days.

Give these a try! If I can do it, you can do it! Don't fear the yeast! ;0)




Share/Bookmark

22 comments:

Bit of Butter said...

I am just now getting over my fear of yeasted breads. I made hockey-puck biscuits for Thanksgiving a few years back and swore I would never use yeast again. I'm getting better now though...slowly but surely...

Angie's Recipes said...

I bet these are great both for the breakfast and afternoon snack!

The Blonde Duck said...

Those look great!

Gloria Baker said...

I love these brioches look lovely and yummy, gloria

Jeannie said...

Looks good, like muffins! Love the combinations.

Pam said...

Oh, these look delicious and I love it that the recipe includes yeast. They have to be delicious and wish I had one now! Thanks!

koralee said...

Oh sweet friend...thank you for sharing..your images are amazing. I am always trying your yummy delights..love visiting you!

Joanne said...

I used to fear yeast. Now this whole HBinFive thing combined with my New Year's resolution has driven all of that out of me.

These brioches look delicious! I want one for lunch!

Holly said...

Chocolate chip raisin-Yum!!

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

I'm so glad to know I'm not the only one that is intimidated by yeast. Your brioches are gorgeous.
Sam

Ma What's 4 dinner said...

You are trying to derail my diet aren't you. It's ok, you can admit it. Damn you...

Alex aka Ma, What's For Dinner
www.mawhats4dinner.com

Chef E said...

I bought some 'power' yeast, meaning it should raise the roof off my condo when in the flour, but have not tried it yet...I love brioche, and your patio just says inviting, as well as how much fun you have to have eating out there!

Photos always look great!

Rhiannon Bosse said...

ahhhh the photos! love the photos Kim! You are great :)

Connie said...

I love yeast! And these look great!

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

Everything you make looks so good Kim! I am a disaster with breads. I tried making homemade cinnamon rolls Sunday. They did not rise. Can yeast go bad? I don't know what happened. I think I am hopeless! Oh well -- too bad I don't live next door to you. I could make you wreaths and you could make me food!

XOXO
Jen

Reeni said...

These are beauties! Look at those shiny tops. I imagine they are delicious with raisins and chocolate chips!

Jo said...

I right there with you on the yeast ~ I once (and only once) made bread that could have passed for a door stop. It was so bad the birds wouldn't even eat it!

These do look delish ~ I may have to try.

Jo

teresa said...

mmmm, brioche muffins? they look beautiful!

Faith said...

Lol, I usually fear the yeast too, but I'll trust you Kim...I've got to give these a try! They look chocolaty and delicious!

Jenn said...

I tried making a sourdough starter close to month ago. For some rason the starter didn't turn out as well as I had hoped. I'll eventually try again. But for now many I should have these little beauties to get me inspired.

PG said...

Yeast, in any recipe, scares me. I think it comes from not using it regularly and trying to make a double recipe with yeast that turned out really poorly.

These look good -- I like the top picture of your post too.

Beth Morey said...

Wow these look amazing!

Related Posts with Thumbnails