We are experiencing some unusually cold temperatures around the Portland area right now. This basically means that WE ARE FREEZING OUR BUNS CLEAN OFF!
My son's spelling words for tonight's homework were as follows: Freeze, Frigid, Temperature, and Cold. Very fitting!
All of this blustery chilliness puts me in the mood for a nice piping hot bowl of Minestrone Soup.
I have used this recipe for years. It's quick, easy, warm, and wonderful. The only change I made this time was to use whole wheat penne.
1 tbsp olive oil
1 clove chopped garlic
3 cups chicken, beef, or veggie broth
1 cup cooked kidney beans
2 chopped carrots
1 cup fresh green bean, cut into 1 inch pieces
1/2 tsp dried basil
1 cup marinara sauce
1 cup whole wheat penne
grated parmesan (optional)
Heat olive oil in a 4 qt saucepan. Add garlic and saute for about 1 minute, stirring. Add the broth and remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10-12 minutes until noodles are al dente.
Serve with grilled cheese sandwiches, or a loaf of warm, crusty bread.
This really hits the spot!
I also wanted to take a moment to say thank you to Teresa of A Blog About Food for passing me this fabulous award. Teresa's blog is one of my most favorites. She is such a sweetheart. Even though we've never met, I have a feeling if we ever did meet, we would be instant friends!
I also want to thank Olive of Latest Recipes Home Cooking and Baking. I recently discovered Olive's blog and I have to tell you it is beyond full of terrific recipes!
I am supposed to list a few things about myself for each of these award. I forget how many so I'll just see how many I can come up with.
1. I have Raynaud's Disease so I really hate the cold. I wish I could enjoy the cold, crisp air as much as (most) everyone else does. Waaaa!
2. I love making sweet treats but I don't really like eating my creations. I just don't have much of a sweet tooth.
3. I suffer from social anxiety. I feel really uncomfortable at parties or in large groups and would much rather be home in my jammies.
4. My kids are my best friends. They fill my life with more joy than words can express.
5. I am terrible at video games of any kind. I hate them, I stink at playing them, but I am very impressed with people (my kids) that are great at playing them.
6. I can never sit through an entire movie without getting up at least one time to use the bathroom. Consequently, I've never seen a movie from beginning to end in my entire life.
7. I wish I was a vegetarian but I have a meat eating family so it's just too much work for me to make separate meals each night so...woe is me.
8. I truly think the hardest part of going veg would be giving up bacon! :D
Well, Zip Zap. That's a wrap! Happy Tuesday!