8.17.2009

Boys on the Roof and a Hearty Casserole

Things are moving right along with the roofing project. The paper is down and the tiles will be delivered this afternoon.

My husband (the cute one in the middle with the glue gun) and a few of his friends/coworkers are doing a fantastic job! It will be so nice to have a new roof this fall and winter and not worry about leaks.

DSC04549

I did my part by fixin' some grub for the hungry boys on the roof.

DSC04546

Pam has a Mexican Rice Casserole on her blog that I have wanted to make for months now. I changed up the ingredients a bit and worked with what I had available.

Here is what went into this hearty casserole:

1 lb ground turkey
1 cup white rice
2 cloves chopped garlic
1 4 oz can fire roasted diced green chilies
1 15 oz can enchilada sauce
1 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
2-3 medium tomatoes,sliced
1-2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
1/2 cup black olives, sliced

DSC04552

Cook rice according to package instruction. Saute the garlic in 1 tbsp of oil. Add the turkey, break into pieces and cook through. Add the rice, beans, chilies, and sauce. Stir to combine.

Pour into a greased 13 x 9 casserole dish. Top with tomato slices, cheese and olives. Cover with a spray oiled piece of foil. Place into a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes.

DSC04554

You can top this off with sour cream, guacamole, hot sauce, salsa or whatever else you might fancy.

The boys had several helpings of my casserole and gave it a thumbs up.

Print recipe

Hop on over to Pam's for the original recipe.


30 comments:

Juliana said...

I love rice dishes...and this one looks so yummie, tasty with all the ingredients in it. A really complete meal. Kim, I have a "little something" for you, please go to http://simplerecipes.me/ at the bottom of the post :-)

Kathy B! said...

This casserole has dinner written all over it! I think I een haveroughly the correct ingredients.

The heat wave must have passed a bit out your way? I hope so for the sake of your cute hubby with the glue gun!!

chow and chatter said...

wow how sweet of you i bet they love it

Jenn said...

Looks good. I fitting meal for a hard working hubby and those who helped, too. It's been a while since I've made a casserole. I think I'll have to remedy that soon.

Faith said...

Wow, this casserole looks delicious and full of flavor!

Schnitzel and the Trout said...

Such handsome men on your roof! You are lucky they went back to work after that great meal. Looks wonderful!

Christo Gonzales said...

now thats a good hearty dish for the hard workers....

KennyT said...

That's so sweet of you, Kim!

Denise said...

This looks really good. God bless the men that do roofs in this heat!

♥peachkins♥ said...

I'm sure the boys on the roof did a great job and should be rewarded by your yummy rice casserole!

Mary Bergfeld said...

This really looks delicious. You fed these guys really well.

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

I can't believe he's doing that himself. That's awesome!

Palidor said...

Yummy! I'd eat a big bowl of this rice casserole... minus the olives. ;-)

Heather S-G said...

That is an awesome roof shot...and the food looks fabulous! Perfect to feed those hard-workin' men! (did u get a new camera? your photos are looking especially amazing!!!)

Cathy said...

OMG, I love this kind of food. And your photos are fantastic, Kim.

Hope your guys can stay cool in this heat wave coming out way.

Heidi said...

I love casseroles! I need all the quick meals I can get since school will be starting next week. Thanks :)

Anonymous said...

Yummy casserole - I love the close-up photo!

Chef E said...

I just want to suck that right off the screen...cheese, tomatoes and all the other great ingredients!

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

Mmmm, that looks delicious. I will be making that one soon!

Glad your roof is coming along!

XOXO
Jen

debra@dustjacket said...

Does hubby ... aka the cute one .. know we are all checkin' him out! lol

Food looks great honey,
xoxo

Anonymous said...

I like beans, rice and cheese in a recipe. The dish looks so filling!

Kathy B! said...

I made the casserole for dinner last night and it was awesome. I had a larger container of enchilada sauce so I used a bit more rice/beans/meat. I served it over a bed of finely chopped romaine with a dollop of sour cream.

Hubs and I loved it and three out of four kids gave it a thumbes up.

Definitely a KEEPER!

NKP said...

Looks delish!
(Can't believe you made all those men stip down though - just to get some dinner.. ;-)

Adam said...

Pam does have some dynamite recipes over there, and I know I would dig that after a hard day on the roof. Hope it's all set and done with by now :)

Joanne said...

This casserole looks like taco/nacho heaven! I would love to come home to this after a long day of roofing.

Anonymous said...

First - you were in front of me at SITS, so I came on over to say hello!

Second - this looks DE-LISH!

Third - Love your music, and all the pics.

Have a great week - and I bet you have lots of returning workers after that meal!

TheKitchenWitch said...

That looks delicious! Hubby hates casseroles, but this one looks too good NOT to make.

pam said...

Oh my gosh, I am so in a casserole mood now!

Pam said...

It looks great! I love this casserole - now I am craving it. Thanks for the shout out and link back to my site. I am so glad you and the boys liked it.

Suzi said...

I have some ground turkey that is preseasoned and can't wait to try this recipe. Thanks Kim!

Related Posts with Thumbnails