4.28.2009

Turkey Sausage and Sweet Pepper Subs


My husband and I lived in Bend, Oregon for a little while before we had our kids. We used to frequent this little Sub Sandwich joint called New York City Sub Shop. They have the most amazing grilled subs on Earth! (I can't speak for the subs on the other planets.) They are always made on the grill and they always have the most excellent sweet peppers! There are a few different locations, including one in Jackson Hole, Wyoming. If you click on the link above you can check them out.

Anyway, I was thinking about our Beloved Little Sub Shop and I decided we should have some subs for dinner tonight. I didn't have any lunch meat but I did have this great Tomato and Roasted Garlic Turkey Sausage to use up so I used it instead.



Mmm! Sweet Peppers just rock my world!



Here is what went into my version of The New York City Sub:
  • 5 Tomato and Roasted Garlic Turkey Sausages
  • 7 or 8 sweet peppers, thinly sliced
  • 1 cup jack cheese, grated
  • 1 clove minced garlic
  • 1 tsp dried parsley
  • 1/2 tsp kosher salt
  • 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 lemon
  • several turns of cracked pepper
  • water
  • 1/3 cup white wine
  • sub rolls
Pour 1 tbsp of your olive oil into a heated pan. Add your garlic and saute for just a minute. Add your sausages and fill your pan with about an inch of water and juice from 1/2 of the lemon. Cook sausage, turning occasionally, until water is just about gone. This will take about 10-12 minutes. Pour in your wine and cumin and cook for another minute. Remove your sausage and set aside. Add the remaining tbsp of olive oil to your pan. Add your peppers, parsley, salt, pepper and juice from the other 1/2 of lemon. Cook, stirring occasionally until tender.

Place your sausage, peppers and jack cheese onto toasted sub rolls and Eat Up!

This recipe will knock your socks off or my name isn't Zelda! Oh yeah, it's not Zelda! Well, anyway, I think you'll really, really enjoy them!


25 comments:

Mary Bergfeld said...

Kim, it looks awfully good, but I'm not sure about the knocking your socks off. It's better to claim "it will make your socks go up and down."

mysteryhistorymom said...

ANother amazing recipe! How do you do it??? Lori

Cathy said...

Looks fantastic! I love Jackson Hole...time to take the hubby down there so he can experience it as well!

Selba said...

It really looks so yummy! I like sweet peppers.

Mimi said...

It's 4:19 am, I can't sleep & now I'm craving this sub!

Susie said...

Yummo!!!

The Blonde Duck said...

How can you go wrong with a tasty sub?

Donna-FFW said...

This looks fantastic. I love to cook with peppers and onions.. they are a fav of mine..

Ginger said...

Kim,

I love subs!! Your sub sounds delicious!! Sweet peppers and garlix turkey sausages YUMMY!!!!

Kathy said...

I left an award for you on my blog! Have a great day!!!
Kathy <3

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

These look great! I love the peppers anf the turkey sausage is a healthy twist.

Heidi said...

What a great looking sub. I've never heard of that type of sausage though.

3 Bay B Chicks said...

I adore the picture of all your ingredients laid out, ready to go. It looks like something straight out of a magazine.

Well done!

-Francesca

Pam said...

Yum. I love sandwiches like this. I'll be checking out this sub shop the next time we are in Bend.

Sweta (My Indian Dietitian) said...

I hate BUYING subs(for me that is something to make at home)but will take your word and check out the Sub shop in Bend(we live in Corvallis).Anything in particular that you remember?
Thanks for sharing this recipe :)

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

You are making my mouth water. Oh, what I wouldn't give for one of those right now!!!

YUM! I hope things are going well in your yummy world!

XOXO
Jen

momstheword said...

I don't know that I've been to NYC sub shop but I've been to Quiznos and Subway. We love subs so thanks for the recipe. We haven't had them for awhile!

Alicia The Snowflake said...

That looks so yummy! Makes me hungry. Good thing it's almost lunchtime :o)

Sweta (My Indian Dietitian) said...

Kim-I think it's such a lovely idea to go back and study to be an RD.I'm sure you can do it-will wait for the day when you tell me you are an R.D!!
I met a nutrition student at OSU a couple of months back,she told me she was 63 yrs old,a soft-ware engineer(now retired)who always had a interest in Nutrition.Now that she had all the time in the world,she wanted to pursue her dreams-inspired? I was:)

The Blonde Duck said...

I just have to tell you again how much I like your cooking--I was digging in your archives and started drooling...

teresa said...

I am always on the lookout for the perfect sub, this looks AWESOME. I love the turkey sausage, I've never made a sandwich with it before, mmmmm.

Randi Troxell said...

i am so feelin' this... looks great!

Kathy B! said...

Mmmm, subs!! And with the peppers?! Perfection. I was thinking of enchiladas for dinner tonight and now I am severely conflicted. I need to start checking in on you earlier in the day so that I can get my gameplan in order.

Thanks, Zelda :)

Claudia said...

I love sausage and sweet peppers. Mmmm. I especially love turkey sausage - which is getting harder to find and is twice the cost as a year ago. Oh well. I wnat those subs!

Julia said...

Boy everybody else has said it already but her I go again...YUM. Lunch was about 2.5 hours ago and I am already starving with my big butt.

Related Posts with Thumbnails