2.14.2009

Words of Love

I receive the Merriam-Webster's word of the day through my email. I thought today's word was interesting. The word is: Spoony, pronounced, \SPOO-nee\

Meaning: 1. silly foolish; especially: unduly sentimental
2. being sentimentally in love

In 19th-century British slang, "spoon" meant "simpleton" (a meaning that may have been influenced by the "shallowness" of some spoons. That use of "spoon" brought about the adjective "spoony" to describe a silly, foolish person. In time, the foolish manner implied by "spoony" began to take on sentimental and amorous overtones, and it soon became the perfect word for those foolishly head over heels in love. Another "spoon" is a verb referring to love-making or necking. That use of "spoon" may stem from a Welsh custom in which an engaged man presented his fiance with an elaborately carved wooden spoon.

Wishing you a "Spoony" Valentine's Day! :)

2 comments:

Tara said...

Kim
I love this! We had a spoony day here...I am going to try and use this word when I put the kids to bed tonight!
:)

Fleur-de-lis and Flourishes said...

Such a sweet post - my new favorite word! I love "spoony" things!

Related Posts with Thumbnails