2.23.2009

Word of the Day

So, my word of the day from Merriam-Webster is: Pleonasm. Pronounced: \PLEE-uh-naz-um\ It means: The use of more words than necessary to denote mere sense: redundancy. For example: "free gift".

This word got me thinking about something slightly different. I was thinking that I often use a paragraph when a sentence will do quite nicely. I do this a lot with my husband. He is more a "just the facts" kind of guy. I also do this with my children. I feel the need to elaborate on why they need to clean their room. I truly want them to understand completely why they cannot spend the night with a friend on a school night. If I am paying close attention, I will notice when they have gotten my point and when they have then tuned me out. Why do I do this? Is there a twelve step program or a name for this? Is it a condition of some kind? Am I alone out there?

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails